General Board ยป Playing 2nd position W/ Guitar tuned a half step down.

• Steve

Steve Kokomo, IN

I have a rock band that wants me to play some harp with them on a blues song they do. The guitar player said he wrote it in the key of G, but now they tune a half step down to F#. Would I still be able to use a B harp for 2nd pos., or would I have to use another key? I've always played to 440 tuning with my band, and this is going to be live on stage, improve, and I don't want to get up and be out of tune and look like a FOOL. I would very much appreciate your input on this.

I have a rock band that wants me to play some harp with them on a blues song they do. The guitar player said he wrote it in the key of G, but now they tune a half step down to F#. Would I still be able to use a B harp for 2nd pos., or would I have to use another key? I've always played to 440 tuning with my band, and this is going to be live on stage, improve, and I don't want to get up and be out of tune and look like a FOOL. I would very much appreciate your input on this.

• Sonny Boy Terry

Sonny Boy Terry Houston, Texas

Thanks for ther post. The answer is yes, you simply transcribe the harmonica a half step down from the cross harp key the guitarist is playing. One thing though - I personally think while you are in the correct key, the intonation sounds a little different to me. So if the guitar player is in the key of E tuned down a half step, you would use an Ab harmonica...Again, thank you for the post. Please keep them coming.

Thanks for ther post. The answer is yes, you simply transcribe the harmonica a half step down from the cross harp key the guitarist is playing. One thing though - I personally think while you are in the correct key, the intonation sounds a little different to me. So if the guitar player is in the key of E tuned down a half step, you would use an Ab harmonica...Again, thank you for the post. Please keep them coming.

Add your message - It will be added as the newest post

www.houstonharmonicalessons.com is a trademark brand. Please contact via email at set@houstonharmonicalessons.com, call or text at 713.822.0437. We are there to help!